Tag: 上海七宝老街晚上还有吗

Imprisoned journalist joins independent media hunger-strikers

first_img News November 24, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Imprisoned journalist joins independent media hunger-strikers News Organisation RSF_en “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says April 9, 2021 Find out more to go further News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan Reporters Without Borders today reiterated its support for a two-week-old hunger strike by a group of journalists and press freedom activists after imprisoned journalist Sakit Zahidov, who received a three-year sentence last month, announced yesterday he was joining the protest against government threats to the independent media.“The hunger strike is drastic method of protest that shows how difficult the situation has become for Azerbaijan’s independent media,” the press freedom organisation said. “We are worried about the state of health of several of the hunger strikers, including Sakit Zahidov’s brother Ganimat, the editor of the opposition daily Azadlig, who was adamant in his refusal when asked to stop by the Union of Journalists.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We extend out support to the hunger strikers and the independent media, and we call on the Azeri government to put an end to the harassment that forced this protest on them.”The hunger strikers include representatives of the newspapers Azadlig, Milli Yol, Yeni Musavat, Bizin Yol, Novoye Vremya and 24 Saat, the magazine Ganun and the news agency Turan. Protests by journalists and opponents of President Ilham Aliev have swelled in recent weeks after a series of press freedom violations.The hunger strike was prompted by a government decision to evict Azadlig (which is the leading opposition newspaper), the independent television station ANS TV and Turan from their premises. The protesters say they are fighting for “Elmar Husseynov’s dream of liberty and democracy.” The editor of the opposition weekly Monitor, Husseynov was gunned down in Baku on 2 March 2005.Arrested on 23 June, writer and journalist Sakit Zahidov was sentenced on 4 October, at the end of a chaotic trial, to three years in prison for “possession of drugs for personal consumption.” Zahidov has always insisted that the police planted the heroin they claimed to have found in his clothes. A court is due to begin hearing his appeal on 1 December.center_img AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia June 8, 2021 Find out more News Help by sharing this information June 4, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Follow the news on Azerbaijan Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakhlast_img read more